Friday, March 13, 2015

What does Cesar Chavez have to do with Chicago?

Robert Kennedy said, “Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total; of all those acts will be written the history of this generation.” Honestly speaking, I noticed that I don’t give history the importance that I should in my life. History has shaped my life, my family life with the pains of injustices, the sadness of tragedies, the hope from achievements and beauty of people lives. Today, I watched a movie that represent Cesar Chavez life, when he fought for the rights from farmworkers.  While I was watching the movie, I was looking up the quotes that he said. There is a couple quotes that encouraged me to how keep on pushing on with my dream of a revival in Chicago, where the church is ran by ex-gang members and ex-convicts, whose lives were transformed by Christ. Seeing the whites and hispanics and blacks come together. I know that it is not possible for a person to make this possible. I know that God would need to push the revival forward if it’s His will. As Robert Kennedy talks all the little events, all the people changing the community around them, that could change the outcome of the current generation and even more the future generations that are to come.
Cesar Chavez said, “It is possible to become discouraged about the injustice we see everywhere. But God did not promise us that the world would be humane and just. He gives us the gift of life and allows us to choose the way we will use our limited time on earth. It is an awesome opportunity.” In my daily frustration of kids dreams crushed before they are teenagers, where the systems are against the minorities, youths thinking that they have to go in the streets to survive, seeing moms weeping over losing their little babies due to gang violence, and people just standing there because they don’t think that they can make a difference. I end up screaming on top of my lungs THIS ISNT FAR!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE THIS WAY? I need to step back and ask myself why I am surprised? When in John 16:33 it says, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” It is warning me that life will honestly suck sometimes. When we see things go through our lives and things that put us down but I have to trust on him but the beautiful thing is that we are still living meaning, we still got precious time to change the world around us. We all have time to impact the kids lives and actually believe in them. We can stand up for the oppress. The most beautiful thing is that we have time to open our hands and allow God to take over our lives and see where he takes us even though it would be hard. (fair warning)
Cesar Chavez said, “The fight is never about grapes or lettuce. It is always about people.” I know you are asking yourself what does lettuce and grapes have to do with Chicago? We can’t even grow them here. In Chicago, we see people always having people having a rally against gang violence, having equal education for everybody, social justice, immigration reformation. We easily like putting stereotype on people for who fight for those things. To be honest, we aren’t only fighting for these things but it’s about the people who are facing these struggles. We are shoulder to shoulder with the mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, nephews, and friend being in one big familia picking each other up when we fall, giving our shoulder when somebody loses a love one but importantly we are here for the people. As he continued, "We can choose to use our lives for others to bring about a better and more just world for our children. People who make that choice will know hardship and sacrifice. But if you give yourself totally to the non-violence struggle for peace and justice you also find that people give you their hearts and you will never go hungry and never be alone. And in giving of yourself you will discover a whole new life full of meaning and love."
Cesar Chavez and Dolorez Huerta, came up with “Sí, se puede” during Cesar 25 day fast to protest the violence being used against the striking farmworkers and to draw attention to their struggle. It’s a reminder, as a body of Christ we can bring a revival in Chicago only through Christ. We as a body of Christ, we can believe in these kids and help them fight in the challenges that they face in their lives and knowing that they aren’t alone. As a body of Christ, we can become a voice for the oppressed and voiceless.  Yes as a body of Christ, we can make a difference in the streets that instead of kids join the gangs looking for a family. Instead, they can join our familia that would unconditionally love them.

There is no better ending than, “SI SE PUEDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment